You've been rockin' your white slogan tee hard and its gone through the wash a few times. You're starting to wonder how do I keep this fab tee crisp and white
Keeping a white t-shirt crisp white can be a bit challenging, but with proper care and attention, it is definitely achievable. We want you keeping that tee crisp and white for as long as possible, so here's a step-by-step guide to help you maintain the pristine whiteness of your white t-shirt:
- Separate white garments: When doing the weekly wash, it's crucial to separate white clothes, including your white t-shirt, from coloured items to avoid colour bleeding. Wash white garments separately or with other white clothes only.
- Pre-treat stains: Before washing, inspect the white t-shirt for any stains. Treat them immediately using a stain remover or a mixture of mild detergent and water. Gently rub the stain with the solution and let it sit for a few minutes before washing.
- Read the care label: Check the care label on your white t-shirt to determine the recommended washing instructions. Different fabrics may require specific care methods, such as temperature settings or hand washing.
- Choose the right detergent: Select a high-quality laundry detergent suitable for whites. Look for detergents labeled as "whitening" or "brightening." Avoid using bleach unless the care label explicitly mentions it, as bleach can weaken the fabric over time.
- Optimal water temperature: Wash your white t-shirt using the warmest water temperature recommended on the care label. Warm water helps to remove dirt and stains effectively. However, if the care label indicates cold water, follow those instructions instead.
- Use gentle cycle or hand wash: Choose the gentle or delicate cycle on your washing machine, or consider hand washing your white t-shirt. Aggressive cycles can damage the fabric and cause it to lose its crisp whiteness.
- This is a biggy! Avoid overloading the washer. Cause with the mountains of wash to do, don't we all love too shove a little more in! But if you're looking after your whites - refrain from overloading the washing machine. Give your white t-shirt enough space to move freely during the wash cycle. Overcrowding can prevent proper cleaning and rinsing.
- Extra rinse cycle: If your washing machine has an extra rinse cycle, use it. This helps to ensure that all the detergent residue is thoroughly removed from your white t-shirt.
- Air dry in sunlight: After washing, avoid using a dryer as the heat can cause yellowing or discolouration. Instead, air dry your white t-shirt in direct sunlight if possible. Sunlight has natural bleaching properties that can help maintain the whiteness.
- Spot treat if necessary: If any stains or discolouration are still visible after drying, repeat the stain treatment process mentioned in Step 2. Spot treat the affected areas with a stain remover or mild detergent before washing again.
- Store properly: Once your white t-shirt is dry and clean, store it separately from coloured garments to prevent colour transfer. Fold it neatly and keep it in a cool, dry place.
- Check for yellowing: Regularly inspect your white t-shirt for any signs of yellowing or discolouration. If you notice any, consider using a fabric whitener specifically designed for white garments or consult a professional cleaner for specialised treatment. (We particularly like Dr Beckmann that you can pick up from Woolies.)
Following these steps and taking good care of your white t-shirt and you'll have all your friends asking how you maintain crisp white tees all the time. You'll feel just like a regular Martha Stewart.